Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My run in with the Police

I have 4 kids ages 7,5, 4, & 1 1/2. They are great kids but lately they have been getting into the habit of taking their seat belt buckles off when we are driving around. Not a big deal if you live on a farm or somewhere remote but we live in a major Texas city.

Anyway, it was really driving me crazy having to stop and buckle up the kids and give them the speech "if I got in a wreck, you could die." For some reason, that just doesn't faze them.

So this morning, I visited my local police station. I went inside and asked for a really tough looking police officer. The receptionist gave me a weird look so I quickly explained that I needed him to give my kids a speech. She went to fetch him.

A few moments later, a big copper came and he looked tough! He even had the aviator shades on and everything. It was great. He said, "Mam can I help you?"

Me: " My kids keep taking their buckles off. Can you give them a little speech about how important it is they keep them on?"

Cop: "Am I on a hidden video?"

Me: (now feeling slightly foolish) "Uh no, just me, hahah (nervous laugh)

Cop: "OK. But I am not in the business of scaring kids."

Me: "Can't you scare them just a little?"

Cop: no answer

Me: " Can you also say something about how they need to eat their fruits and vegetables everyday?"

He didn't answer again. I feel like a dork and I know they are silently memorizing my license plate number so they can look me up later.

We then proceed to the car where my kids were waiting for their "surprise." The police man looks in and proceeds to tell them to wear their buckles at all times or their mommy would go to jail.

Needless to say, they were speechless. I was of course holding in my laughter, trying not to snort. It was awesome.

He also told them to eat all their fruits and vegetables so they would be good little kids. They nodded in agreement. Landon, my 4 year old, he was frozen still.

Anyway, worked out great. They kept their buckles on and came home and everybody immediatly asked for an apple.

I highly recommend this little outing.

7 comments:

robkroese said...

After seeing the episode of House where a woman brings her kids in to see Dr. House so he can lecture them to eat their fruits and vegetables, I would be terrified to try something like this.

Danielle said...

Classic, Sandi, classic! I love your spunk and parenting skills. And to think, I probably just have to come to your house, let David see Landon eating his veggies/wearing his seat belt and I'm all done :)!

Lisa Cowen said...

Looooove It!!! It would take the boys a minute to realize the cop wanted to talk to THEM instead of Mommy! Lead foot, what lead foot? :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely brilliant!!! LOL!

Beth Goff said...

That is a great idea that I will have to keep in the back of my mind.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I bet that left an impression on them. Lets hope it sticks with them, especially, wearing the seat belts. Very good way to send a very important message. Good job Mommy!

Gift of Green said...

Priceless! Good for you for following through...after the cop said the part about not scaring kids I would have said, "okay thank you very much" and skulked away.