Monday, July 23, 2007

Beach Vacation - Part 1

Sorry for the long break - We have been on vacation for nearly 2 weeks. We went to the beach at South Padre Island. Yes it was totally awesome. But before you start getting too jealous, let me give you a glimpse into the ride down there. You might change your mind.

We had to stop the car 5 times for bathroom breaks. This was all within the first 2 hours of leaving Fort Worth. I quit counting after the 5th time.

67 or more- The number of times we heard, "Are we there yet? What's taking so long? Where are we?"

The long car ride made the kids invent some interesting games. At one point, I heard my sweet #2 child yell, "Mommy, I caught the devil." Um, yeah, Todd and I were speechless too. At this point, we tried to tune into a radio station (our tape deck was broken).

Well, all we could pick up was rap music. Who would have guessed since we were on highway 281, which is total Texas country land. Anyway, we jammed out to "Whoomp there it is." Good times.

We could only handle a rap or two so after that, Todd and I decided we should probably talk to each other. Strengthen our bonds of marriage or whatever. This is how most conversations started.

Conversation #1

Me: "I think I might want to be a body builder."

Todd: "Wow - that's scary!"

Me: "What - Why?"

Todd: "You on Roids - yikes."

Conversation #2

Todd: "Just when you think you've met all the cool people in the world, you meet more cool people."

Me: (I didn't respond, just trying to figure out what in the world he was talking about since we were in the middle of nowhere looking at cows and wheat)

Conversation #3

I notice that the liner on the outside of the windshield started flapping up on the passengers side where I was sitting. We were going 80 mph. Thinking I could be facing death soon I ask Todd,

Me: "Do you think the windshield is going to crash in?"

Todd: "Doesn't matter, we have insurance."

I was only slightly offended.

After all this great bonding we decided to just look out the window. Only 6 hours left.

8 comments:

Eric and April Colquett said...

I love it! I have been waiting on the vacation blogs for days! I cant wait to hear the rest.

David and Bethany said...

You are just too funny!!! It sounds like you had a great time! ;) P.S. I think you'd be a great bodybuilder!!!!!

robkroese said...

Insurance fixes everything.

Jenny said...

Glad you had fun.

The insurance comment...hee hee. Sounds like something my husband would say!

Kelly said...

Wow, that is a lot of bathroom breaks. Glad to hear you had a good vacation. I look forward to hearing about the rest of the trip.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Too funny! I enjoyed getting to meet you here! We just got back from our beach vacation, and let's just say I'm glad we didn't drive to California this time!

Dan said...

Todd and I decided we should probably talk to each other.

Oh, that's terrible ... when it gets to that point! :)

So are you really going to become a body buirlder? Thanks for visiting my blog. Very sweet of you!

Tinsie said...

Hahahahaha this is great. More please!