Thursday, April 05, 2007

Doctor Visit

I went for a physical yesterday just for the heck of it . After the doctor checked me out, tested my reflexes (they were fast), listened to my breathing (just fine), took my blood pressure (116/68 for you curious ones out there), the doctor then asked me when my last tetanus shot was. I told her I probably never had one. Well, she told me it was imperative that I get one today. I was feeling a little bit on the naughty side since I had been waiting in the little room for about 1 hour reading the same heart burn advertisement. So I said , why do I need one and is it really necessary? The doctor did not take my questioning her obvious superior intellect very well. She took off her glasses and raised her voice and told me a tetanus infection is very serious and could lead to death, not a joking matter.

I think you see where this is headed.

I asked her about the following scenarios, you know, just in case:

Me: So if I was walking along a dirt road near an abandoned construction site and stepped on a really rusty nail and got a big cut in my foot, would I need a tetanus shot?

Doctor: yes

Me: If I was fishing and a big gust of wind caught my fishing line and the hook came around and stuck me in the arm, or head or somewhere fleshy, would I need a tetanus shot then?

Doctor: most definitely

Me: What if I was mugged by a homeless dude that was covered in old rusty piercings and one of the many piercings scratched me? Would it be necessary then?

Doctor: Do you want the shot or not?
Me: Do I get a lollipop?
Doctor: No

Me: Hmmm, I'll take my chances.

She left in a hurry. They probably coded my chart as a problem patient.

4 comments:

brad said...

Sandi,

I'm so glad you suck the marrow out of the bone of life and live it to its fullest! I can't wait to hear of the tales you will tell in England when you walk up to someone on the street and say, "I like your pants, or can I have a ride?" You will have a great following there.

--Julie

Stuart Cowen said...

You mean that lousy doctor would rather have your death be on her conscious over a 3-cent lollipop? Where is the healthcare system in this county headed?

Max said...

It seems that we have something very much in common...

anna kin said...

i have not gotten a tetanus shot in WAY over 10 years - don't want them to take my blood pressure since I have white coat syndrome and it would be off the charts high...