Friday, March 30, 2007

March Madness

March is typically my least favorite month of the year. Here are a few reasons why.

1. Crickets start chirping. Not a big deal for county folks, but this city girl can't stand the sound of crickets, especially when I am trying to sleep. And for those of you that know me, I like to sleep 8-9 hour each night. The crickets start making their noise in March and chirp the entire night outside my bedroom window. I have resorted to spraying them with water at 2am just to get them to quit. They quite literally bring me to tears. Click on the link to experience it.


http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=22344


Isn't that just so soothing.


2. Also in March, a family of Swallows (Birds) decides to make their home on my front porch and have babies (2 sets with 7 babies each time). You are probably thinking, aww, so cute. Let me correct you here you tree hugger. This is the 6 year in a row that they have lived here. They make a mud nest right on top of my front door and live here for 4+ months. I have been pecked on the head a few times and plus birds are dirty and noisy. I have knocked their nest down so many times and they rebuild it within the hour. I went to Wild Bird Center and the only thing they said I could do was to put fake snakes all around my door and entry way. Not very welcoming and it might scar the kids for life. It would look like the Walker House of Darkness, however, the number of solicitors would probably drop dramatically.


3. March has weird weather. It's not hot enough to turn your air on or cold enough for the heat. It is also a high tornado month. All this strange weather results in lots of humidity which is just great because I then have an Afro for an entire month. No I will not post a picture.


4. St. Patrick's Day. I don't enjoy getting pinched all day because I forgot to wear green.


5. Last, this is when the worms come out. I guess it is all that weird weather or something. I don't really have anything against worms, but my kids love to collect them and bring them in to show me. Nothing like having a long worm on your kitchen counter.



Anybody with me out there??????



3 comments:

Lisa Cowen said...

I am with you, girl! If you decide to go with the fake snake idea - the Cowen boys can supply the snakes - we actually have a 'reptile' bucket in our toy room - very creepy!

faye said...

I am with you darlin! I would also add that at much as I love march madness I hate, repeat hate the re-run madness that happens in tv world.

Anonymous said...

Yep, got one of those bird nests sitting over my front door too. Every bloody year!

Off to buy some fake snakes.